Senior Industrial Designer
Whipsaw is seeking a Senior Industrial Designer to create and develop inventive, cutting-edge industrial design solutions. You will be involved in many roles, including concept creation, 3D CAD development and project leadership. Strong communication skills are necessary to act as a liaison between Whipsaw and our clients, leading the team’s everyday activities and setting expectations to drive deadlines in both our office locations. You will need to be a self-driven problem solver with a rigorous eye for detail and the ambition to change the world. You must have current documentation to be able to work in the United States.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with design team members to create radical, functional and aesthetic design solutions.
- Communicate and interact directly with clients in a project leadership role.
- Drive need-finding exercises, user and client research to create meaningful design solutions.
- Work with design and engineering teams to develop products that push the level of quality in both thinking and execution.
- Effectively communicate ideas visually through hand sketches, model making techniques, and 3D CAD and rendering.
- Mentor and motivate fellow designers, and lead by example for both design methodology and technical expertise.
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Industrial Design.
- 5+ years of experience in one or more of the following product categories: consumer, commercial, medical.
- Deep appreciation for creative exploration and aesthetic refinement.
- Passionate about how things work, and a good understanding of materials and manufacturing processes.
- An obsession for detail while maintaining a context for the big picture.
- Proficient in relevant design software ie: SolidWorks, Rhino, Alias, Keyshot, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Fundamental understanding of shop and fabrication techniques.
- English language proficiency.
- Self-starter and team player.
Whipsaw is an Industrial Design, User Experience, and Engineering consulting firm. We are known for creating smart, unique and intuitive solutions that profoundly connect with end users on both a rational and emotional level. Since our founding in 1999, over 900 Whipsaw-designed products have shipped to market and many became major hits. Our clients range from startups to international corporations including Brita, Cisco, Ford, GE, Google, Haier, Intel, Leitz, Merck, Motorola, Nike, Olympus, Samsung, Sony and Uber. Whipsaw has won over 285 design awards and our products are featured in the Smithsonian Institution Cooper Hewitt Design Museum, The Henry Ford Museum and the Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design.