Senior Interaction Designer (Contract)
Do you walk through the world frustrated with poorly designed products and services? Do you find yourself bursting with nerdy excitement when you realize you just experienced a seamlessly designed interaction? Are you a systems thinker with an eye for design? Do you enjoy being an advocate for the user throughout the complex design process? You could be just the person we’re looking for.
We’re in search of a well-rounded Senior Interaction Designer to join our growing team as we strive to make sure every single product and experience we touch involves user experience thinking from start to finish. In this role, you would work with interdisciplinary teams of researchers, designers, and engineers to strategically guide the product development process. You will have the opportunity to balance high-level management strategy (leading projects) and vision work (leading our thinking) with on-the-ground research and design work that lets you get your hands dirty doing what you love.
Our team has a depth of expertise in the hardware space, and while it’s a huge plus if you shared our enthusiasm for hardware, we’re especially interested in your experience working on digital products and experiences. We’re growing our experience and interaction design offering quickly! Joining the team now means an awesome opportunity to help shape Whipsaw’s future in this space.
We work on a wide variety of projects and are excited to hear about how your experience and enthusiasm will add to the team.
What You’ll Do
- Bring Your Leadership Chops
- Work with key decision-makers to develop plans and strategies for the integration of design methods into a wide variety of projects across platforms and industries
- Manage projects that involve design, research, testing, and strategy
- Lead brainstorms and workshops internally and with clients to help define problems and opportunities at a variety of points throughout the design process
- Dive into Research and Testing
- Plan and conduct innovative and informative qualitative research
- Work with designers and engineers to strategically integrate user testing into the design process
- Synthesize and organize research findings into actionable insights, opportunities, and design principles that truly inspire and can by utilized during the design process
- Work closely with all disciplines throughout the design process to ensure the user’s voice is heard
- Designing Interactions & Experiences
- Design products across multiple platforms – mobile, web, desktop, embedded, etc.
- On digital design projects, take the lead on the process of moving from research to user flows and wireframes, and work with visual designers to develop an informed design language and application of that language to the product
- On physical design projects, work closely with industrial designers as designs are being conceptualized and details refined to ensure informed decisions about the interactions and users are being made
What You’ll Bring
- 5+ years experience working in digital experience design on interdisciplinary teams to research, build, test, and deliver great products
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in product design, interaction design, human computer interaction, or a related field
- Experience managing design teams throughout the product development process
- Experience working directly with stakeholders to strategize and present design work (ex: client or upper management)
- Experience working on design strategy and research as well as applying this research and strategy to product
- Systems-focused way of viewing the world and enjoy working on complex challenges and crafting exciting product stories
- Experience working with engineers to implement designs
- Strong proficiency in modern design software such as Figma, Sketch, Adobe XD, Framer etc.
- Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced consulting environment (including the ability to balance work on multiple projects at once)
You May Have (but it’s not a dealbreaker if you don’t)
- Familiarity with physical product design and how UX methods work in both the physical and digital product spaces
- Experience working with, and managing, multidisciplinary design teams
- Quantitative research experience
- Graduate degree in HCI, psychology, interaction design, or similar
Whipsaw is an Industrial Design and Engineering consulting firm founded in 1999 and located in the heart of California’s Silicon Valley. Whipsaw creates products and brand experiences for many diverse industries including housewares, consumer electronics, medical, and business products. Our clients range from startups to large international corporations. Our purpose is to make excellent products and experiences. Our solutions aim to support our client’s business objectives, with a goal to increase revenue, improve market position, and enhance corporate value.